Photo Credit: William Rosen

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Having Way Too Much Fun!!!

Hey everyone! I have some more exciting adventures to share with you! Remember to scroll ALL the way to the bottom, to see all the new pictures!
In January, a had the privilege of visiting with my main sponsors; The Franklin Noon Rotary. As I was preparing to leave Martin, I had some vehicle trouble and was worried I wouldn’t get to Franklin! Thank goodness I have some amazing friends who always seem to rescue me! A big “Thank you” to Matthew Spry for being my chauffeur for the day! You are such a good friend, Spry!


Spry and me at Rotery
 
Before Rotary, we made a pit stop at Kelly Azevedo’s so I could put some last minute ‘fixing on my outfit. Kelly told me she had a surprise for me BUT, I had to wait to get to Rotary to find out what it was. We finally arrived and my momma was there, waiting for us. She drove up from Georgia to share the day with us! I was so excited to see her that I nearly cried. After enjoying a nice lunch, Gavin Moon, Rotary president - and now, someone I call “friend” - presented me with a check for my MRTN scholarship. I have been humbled and honored to represent the State of Tennessee and the Rotary club, as Miss Rodeo Tennessee!
With Kelly, and Gavin receiving a scholarship Check

The club has been such a big support to me this year and I really appreciate all their efforts! I am blessed to have such amazing people behind me! The scholarship money came at a perfect time and I couldn't be more thankful. I would like to thank everyone in the Franklin Noon Rotary club for all their support! This has been an incredible year! Thank you for giving me the chance to represent you and the great State of Tennessee.
Me and Momma at Rotary
My next big adventure was in February. Off I went to Kissimmee, Florida, for the week of the “Silver Spurs Rodeo!“ While there, I had the opportunity to meet some of the 2011 Queens, for the first time. Among them were; Miss Rodeo Florida, Sammy Roberts - Miss Rodeo Idaho, Tricia Crump - Miss Rodeo Nebraska, Becky Grimm - Miss Rodeo Oregon, Mackenzie Carr - Miss Rodeo Montana, Lorissa Harris - Miss Rodeo Iowa, Heidi Gansen and Miss Rodeo Illinois, Brooke M‘lynn Owen. These new State Queens are an awesome group of girls and I had a lot of fun getting to know them. Also on hand for the fun was Martina Wardle, Miss Rodeo Utah 2010 - who, like me, is one of the few state queens who doesn’t give up their crown in January - Martina and I had a blast together in Las Vegas and it was so much fun to see her again! Also there to brighten up my life was my Las Vegas roommate and sweet friend, McKenzie Haley- who just happens to have won the title of Miss Rodeo America.   

The roality visiting Florida

The trip started when Ms. Regina Roberts, Miss Rodeo Florida's mom, picked me up at the airport and graciously opened up her home to me and four other state queens. Ms. Regina put Tricia and me back in our own little man cave, (or in this case, Queen cave) and we enjoyed it very much. Sammy, Becky, Mackenzie Carr and I traveled to various events the next couple days. We made many school visits, promoting the Silver Spurs Rodeo and we had a blast! I love making school visits, spending time with all the little ones while sharing the sport I'm passionate about. That evening we ate at Me Maw's diner and had a girls night.

Becky, MacKenzie, MeMaw, Sammy, Tricia and I, after MeMaw fixed us a great lunch!

On Wednesday, Lorissa flew in and she and I moved houses. We had the opportunity to stay with 2010 Miss Rodeo Florida’s (Heather Hall) parents, Julie and Mark Hall. Mrs. Julie and Mr. Mark were kind enough to open their home to us. It was great to see them again! I had a chance to spend some time with them last year and really enjoyed it! I also had a blast getting to know Lorissa!

Me and Lorissa with a little fan :)


On Wednesday night we went hog hunting. Wow, what an adventure! I've never experienced anything quite like it. It started off slow and we didn't think that we were going to catch a hog. After walking forever and almost giving up, the dogs started to go crazy and we heard the hog squealing. We took off in the direction of the hog and the dogs had it bayed up. I got to tie the hogs legs (good thing for that goat tying experience!) while my Vegas roomie, MRA McKenzie, taped it. It was thrilling and one of the most unique adventures I’ve had. We took a lot of pictures and loaded the hogs in the back of the truck. We didn't kill the hogs, the boys put them in holding pens at their houses and sell them. Thank you to Hunter, Ethan, and Brandon for taking us hunting!


Hunter teaching me how to tie a hog.



After a long night we finally made it back to the Hall's. We were whooped and had to be up early the next morning. Thursday brought more school visits and a tour of the sheriff's office. We were treated to a demonstration with the police dogs! It was so awesome….and a little intimidating to see! Those dogs are so smart and talented. Thank you Mrs. Laura Lynn Kessler for setting it up! That afternoon, we had more fun on an airboat ride! I couldn't believe all the alligators we saw! I knew their were gators in Florida but I never realized how many, and what little amount of water they live in. After we saw a gator that was about 10 foot long I swore I'd never go wading in Florida waters again. I was glad we went hog hunting BEFORE we went on the airboat ride because, after seeing all those gators, I would never have tromped around in the swamp!  Needless to say, both adventures were awesome and I'm very glad we got to go

The very large gator that we saw on our airboat ride.
The next day Mrs. Julie let us use her car to go to the beach. I drove and Lorissa, Sammy, Becky, Tricia, Brooke, Mackenzie (Oregon) and Heidi piled in, and off to the beach we went. We had as much fun on the way there as we did at the beach! We wrote in the sand and played in the water, soaked up the sun, and enjoyed each others company. 
With Becky soaking up the sun


We grabbed a quick lunch and headed home to get ready for the rodeo. Miss Laura Lynn made sure all the State Queens had horses and, after we were introduced, we all did a “hot lap” each night. We also made visits to the sponsor booths and signed hundreds of autographs for the little fans. What a wonderfully run rodeo! On Saturday Lorissa and I had some free time and we made a trip to Gatorland! It was amazing to me to see all the gators, especially the white ones.
The white Gators
 I really enjoyed my adventures in Florida. It was one of the best trips I've had the opportunity to go on. Mrs. Laura Lynn set the entire week up, and worked very hard to accommodate all of us. I sure appreciate all her hard work. A huge thank you to Mrs. Julie and Mr. Mark and to Mrs. Regina and Sammy, for opening their homes and being so nice to us. Thank you Sammy for toting us around everywhere we needed to go, and Mrs. Julie for letting us take her car!!! We had such a nice time and they were so accommodating.

Lorissa and I at Gatorland

My next adventure brought me to the Tennessee High School Rodeo Challenge, March 11-13, in Memphis! I rode with some of my favorite Martin folks! Thanks to The Brooks Clan, Keith, Katie, Ashley and Tyler for the transportation and for taking care of me while I was there! Tyler even let me use his horse, Dollar! The Brooks’ have been such a big help to me this year. Their kindness and generosity has not gone unnoticed by me, or my family. Thank you for all you do for me!

Me and Ash working on our roughie skills
Each performance of the rodeo, I helped in the grand entry and got to carry the hot lap flags. It was a pleasure working with Tennessee High School Rodeo Queen Aubrey Joines. She and Katie did a great job with the Opening at every performance! I was glad that I got to see Ashley compete, she did a great job and I was really proud of her!
Katie and me before grand entry

Miss Tennessee Junior Rodeo, Summer Weldon, and her family were also on hand to help out! It was great to see them again, and get to work with Summer. She is an amazing young lady, and has a very bright future of being a rodeo queen. Can we say “future Miss Rodeo America?“ Her parents, Mrs. Beth and Mr. Cameron supplied me with a room while we were there and I appreciated it so much! My mom even got to fly in for the weekend and spend time with me! I was glad she got to come. She loves to take pictures and got some pretty cool shots! We also did a little shopping.

Sweet Summer. Miss Tennessee Jr. Rodeo
While shopping, we met Sydney Caen. This fourteen year old entrepreneur started her own business making western jewelry, halters, belts, purses and more! She even custom makes items. She is making me a very nice halter, to remember my time as Miss Rodeo Tennessee. When it is finished, I will put a picture of it on my blog! I am so excited to get it! Sydney and I also talked about “queening” something she may want to participate in someday! I’m sure she has a bright future ahead of her!


This weekend (March 19-20) is the Miss Rodeo Tennessee Clinic. I’m looking forward to being a part of the hosting team, at the clinic. I also get to travel to The DNCFR in Oklahoma City and Pocatello Idaho! Then in April, we have the University of Tennessee at Martin, home rodeo! May will bring the Franklin rodeo and the crowning of the new Miss Rodeo Tennessee. If anyone is interested in running, please go to the MRTN web sight, for information! I will update again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment